Pooley ‘New’ Bridge
In December 2015, Storm Desmond caused the destruction of the 18th century Pooley Bridge – a key transport link for visitors and locals alike around the northern end of our beautiful valley. In 2019 we prepare for the next chapter in this story as work starts to install a permanent Pooley ‘New’ Bridge.
What you can expect when?
Temporary foot bridge open linking the village to Ullswater ‘Steamers’ pier house and the temporary car park at Waterfoot
October 2019 to April 2020
Construct permanent road bridge
By Easter 2020
Proposed opening of permanent road bridge and demobilise completely by May 2020
Getting to and from Pooley Bridge during construction
We are open for business! While the road bridge is closed, Pooley Bridge remains connected to the rest of the valley via a foot bridge – you can still park both in the village itself and in a temporary car park opposite Waterfoot Holiday Park just a 5 minute walk to Ullswater ‘Steamers’ pier house and a 7 minute walk to the village centre via the foot bridge.
Arriving by road? Broadly here’s what you need to know:
- From the north – leave at Junction 40 and follow diversion signs via Eamont Bridge
- From the south – leave at Junction 39 and follow diversion signs via Shap
- From the east – leave the A66 at Kemplay Bank roundabout and follow diversion signs via Eamont Bridge
- From the west – leave the A66 at Kemplay Bank roundabout and follow diversion signs via Eamont Bridge
Here are detailed directions to help you plan and get the most out of you visit to the village and the valley.
The Pooley ‘New’ Bridge Paver Project
Be part of Pooley ‘New’ Bridge for posterity
On sale online here: Sat 2 November 2019 from 4pm
On the beautiful Pooley ‘New’ Bridge, there will be 232 engraved pavers on the pavement either side of the road where you could have your family or business name carved (max 13 characters) for posterity. All monies raised after costs will go towards creating a community fund to support village initiatives and enhance community life.
The pavers cost £275 each and are available on a first come first served basis and will go on sale here on Sat 2 November from 4pm.
Terms and conditions
- Engravings can be a maximum of 13 characters including spaces and punctuation
- We reserve the right to refuse inappropriate engravings
- No logos or emojis
- We cannot guarantee where your paver will be laid on the bridge
- Pooley Bridge remains an asset of Cumbria County Council – you are purchasing the right to an engraving on one paver
- We must sell a minimum number of pavers in order to proceed with the project. Should we fail to do so, we reserve the right to cancel your order and refund your monies in full.
Pooley ‘New’ Bridge Loyalty Lottery
The more you visit, the better your chances!
September 2019 – March 2020
As we await the opening of our beautiful new bridge, we need your support! Each time you spend in businesses around Pooley Bridge, you’ll receive a ticket for our monthly our Loyalty Lottery. Each month from September 2019 to March 2020, you could be in the chance of winning one of 9 monthly prizes. Hold on to your ticket and you may even win our Loyalty Lottery Golden Ticket – drawn in April 2020, it includes a chance to join us for the Pooley ‘New’ Bridge party plus complimentary food, drink and accommodation in the village over the bridge opening.
We’ll post monthly winning ticket numbers here on the 15th of the following month – so if you’re in the September draw, check to see if you’ve won on 15 October.
Thank you for your support and Good Luck!
Visit Us – there’s lots going on!
Flaming torches, fabulous music, fun street theatre and masks - the best way to start October half term...
Fri 25 October 2019
Witness the UK's second largest crane lift our beautiful new bridge into place - a once in a lifetime opportunity, don't miss it!
The Bridge Lift