Pooley ‘New’ Bridge
In December 2015, Storm Desmond caused the destruction of the 18th century Pooley Bridge – a key transport link for visitors and locals alike around the northern end of our beautiful valley. In 2019 we prepare for the next chapter in this story as work starts to install a permanent Pooley ‘New’ Bridge.
Visiting 7 – 12 September 2020? Please read:
- The temporary footbridge at Pooley Bridge closes for good on Mon 7 September
- It will be removed totally between Mon 7-Sat 12 September
- Please note – during this time, the temporary car park at Waterfoot will only be open to Ullswater Steamers’ ticket holders to park
- After the 12 September, one pavement across Pooley New Bridge will open for pedestrian access
- The new bridge is still on schedule to open totally to vehicles and pedestrians in late October
Getting to and from Pooley Bridge during construction
We are open for business! While the road bridge is closed, Pooley Bridge remains connected to the rest of the valley via a foot bridge – you can still park both in the village itself and in a temporary car park opposite Waterfoot Holiday Park just a 5 minute walk to Ullswater ‘Steamers’ pier house and a 7 minute walk to the village centre via the foot bridge.
Arriving by road? Broadly here’s what you need to know:
- From the north – leave at Junction 40 and follow diversion signs via Eamont Bridge
- From the south – leave at Junction 39 and follow diversion signs via Shap
- From the east – leave the A66 at Kemplay Bank roundabout and follow diversion signs via Eamont Bridge
- From the west – leave the A66 at Kemplay Bank roundabout and follow diversion signs via Eamont Bridge
Here are detailed directions to help you plan and get the most out of you visit to the village and the valley.
The Pooley ‘New’ Bridge Paver Project – SOLD OUT
ALL PAVERS SOLD OUT
Thank you for your support! All monies raised after costs will go towards creating a community fund to support village initiatives and enhance community life.
Pooley ‘New’ Bridge Loyalty Lottery
Update: September 2020
First of all, thank you so much to all of you who have supported Pooley Bridge businesses while Pooley ‘New’ Bridge has been under construction. Following the easing of Covid-restrictions, we’ve had to reassess the Lottery scheme. Here’s how we plan to proceed:
- In order to be Covid-compliant, we are unable to hand out any further Loyalty Lottery tickets
- There will be TWO more Lottery draws, using all tickets ever issued, on the day the new bridge opens to traffic, sometime in late October – watch out here for the date!
- The first will be a final regular monthly draw
- The second will be the Grand Prize draw which will include prizes that will coincide with the official bridge opening which we hope will take place in Spring 2021
- As ususal, winning numbers will be posted here and on social media
Once again thank you for your support during these strange and changeable times and Good Luck!
Visit Us – there’s lots going on!
Flaming torches, fabulous music, fun street theatre and masks - the best way to start October half term...
Fri 25 October 2019
Witness the UK's second largest crane lift our beautiful new bridge into place - a once in a lifetime opportunity, don't miss it!
The Bridge Lift